HDA Intel sound card problem

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Aug 18 02:41:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:33:46 +0200
dariusz rojewski <darekr at pld-linux.org> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> i don't have any idea how can i fix it. As i said I have HDA Intel
> sound card:
>
> Codec: STAC92HD73*
> lspci: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family)
> HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
> aplay -l:
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
> Subdevices: 0/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0: Codec: IDT 92HD75B2X5
>
> I've tried everything :) I added to /etc/modprobe.d/dist.conf 'options
> snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6' line (dell-m6 is for codec STAC92HD73*),
> but it still doesn't work.
> (nothing is muted of course) :)
>
> any ideas? thanks.

Are you sure that iec958 (digital) output is not enabled in alsamixer?
Your card appears to be recognized correctly.  Using alsamixer from a
terminal, use right arrow to move right until you see iec958.  Make sure
it has MM (using M) instead of 00 so it is turned off.

What happens if you play a wav file with aplay as follows?
pulseaudio --kill
aplay -D plughw:0,0 some.wav
pulseaudio --start
If you get sound from this command, you have a configuration issue and
new drivers are probably not going to help you.  You need to tweak your
system until sound works.

I had an experience today where I was using gnash, and it took over, via
pulse, a sound device so it couldn't be used from within audacity.
Turning off gnash and killing the gnome-helper application allowed
audacity to see the device again.

The default alsa drivers version in f11 is 1.0.18.  The current version
is 1.0.20 and there are lots of intel-hda fixes in the update.  The
reason f11 is running the old version is because the kernel it is using
doesn't support the new drivers.  So you could try the 2.6.30 kernel in
updates-testing for f11, and then install the latest alsa drivers and
see if it helps.