Akmod-nvidia problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 18 10:23:38 UTC 2009

Tim:
>> I just tried akmod-nvidia on Fedora 11 for the first time, the other
>> day.  I had to install kernel-devel myself, afterwards, before it
>> could do what it was supposed to.  Surely it ought to drag that in as
>> a dependency, then?  Installing akmod-nvidia certainly dragged in a
>> pile of other things.

Mike Chambers:
> When you all say fresh install, does that include all updates (not
> testing) as well?  Is this done before trying to install nvidia or
> after?

I booted the DVD, let it install (onto a new, unused, hard drive) with
the default options, didn't do any updates, the only things I added to
the installation, was first trying kmod-nvidia, but it was missing
something, so it wouldn't install, and I noticed I had a pae kernel.
Then I installed the ordinary kernel package (yum install kernel), went
to install akmod-nvidia (yum install akmod-kernel), it installed but
didn't work.  Looking at the failure messages during reboot, I thought
adding kernel-devel might fix it up.  I did a yum install kernel-devel,
rebooted, and everything did what it was supposed to.

That's it.  I forgot about the pae kernel thing, before.  The only thing
I've done since then was edit the menus, as there was no entry showing
to start an email program.  Evolution was installed, but the menu entry
for it was hidden.

Since then, I've pulled the drive.  I need to work, and don't have the
time to try and get used to a new OS just before doing something I want
to rely on the computer for.  Experimenting will have to wait a bit.

I wasted ages TRYING to install, before then.  DVD/CD installs always
take an age, and didn't want to use another blank DVD up, so I like to
use the smaller net install disc, to boot the machine, and then install
from the main image on an external drive.  The computer never found my
USB hard drive (CentOS 5.3 wouldn't, either).  I also tried a NFS
install, and that didn't work, either.  It'd start, then bog down.  I
couldn't even ping the machine from another.

I seem to recall something about extracting install.img from the ISO,
and putting it in the same directory as the main DVD ISO.  That didn't
work, neither did putting it into a images sub-directory.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.