HDA Intel sound card problem

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Aug 18 17:22:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 05:15:43 -0300
Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The default alsa drivers version in f11 is 1.0.18.  The current
> > version is 1.0.20 and there are lots of intel-hda fixes in the
> > update.  The reason f11 is running the old version is because the
> > kernel it is using doesn't support the new drivers.
>

> What do you mean by that? I have been using driver 1.0.20
> since I installed F11, a long time ago. There is nothing in kernel
> 2.6.29 that precludes its installation.

When I run the alsa-info.sh script, this is the output I get.

!!Kernel Information
!!------------------

Kernel release:    2.6.29.6-217.2.7.fc11.x86_64
Operating System:  GNU/Linux
Architecture:      x86_64
Processor:         x86_64
SMP Enabled:       Yes

!!ALSA Version

Driver version:     1.0.18a
Library version:    1.0.20
Utilities version:  1.0.20

There is no package for the drivers pulled up in an rpm query.  I
assumed that the reason they didn't have the 1.0.20 drivers installed
was an incompatibility with the kernel for some hardware.  I can't think
of another reason they wouldn't be using the latest stable version.
They obviously know about it since they have the library and utilities
installed.