Anaconda problem with sata drives

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Wed Aug 19 17:49:52 UTC 2009

Mick M. wrote:
> Hi;
>   I have an MSI K9A2 rev 1 motherboard latest BIOS, with Athlon 64x2.
> This has 4 sata connectors for "normal drives" and two for raid.
>
> I have run win Xpx64, Fedora 9/10 and now 11 on this box just fine.
>
> Right now it is running F11 on a sata drive with Xp64 under VirtualBox.
>
> OK so Newegg had a sale on Samsung sata drives so I bought 2.
> I planned to use the raid connectors and run F11 on them.
>
> I installed the drives and created a raid 1 in the BIOS.
> Then I installed F11 with updates onto it.
>
> It would not boot.
> I selected it in the BIOS as first boot, but grub wanted a BIOS disk ID.
> When the system boots the raid is not shown in the sata/ide first screen.
>
> I fought it for a long time and even re-installed.
> Finally I gave up.
> I went into the BIOS and cleared the raid so it was JBOD.
> Then I put the drives onto the "normal" sata connectors and disabled the raid sata.
>
> I was able to fdisk and format both drives just fine.
> One as data and one for F11 /boot ext3 swap / as ext4.
>
> When I try to insstall F11 it cannot see the drive,at the partioning screen.
>
> I get an OK  box:
> "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems.
> Please check your hardware for the cause of this problem"
>
> I then installed Mint linux, and F10 to the drive just fine
> F11 refuses to install.
>
> I tried "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" with no change.
>
> While the installer is hanging I can Ctl-Alt-F2 and "fdisk -l"
> It sees the drive just fine, Ctl-Alt-F^ to the installer and it dies.
>
> I have re-installed my working sata drive to post this.
> Right now I am downloading Fedoro-12 Alpha x64 to see if that will work.
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Standard guarantee applies - 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.

iirc the dmraid in F11, or the code in Anaconda for dmraid on F11, has
been totally rewritten and is still pretty flaky, especially with sata
raid/fakeraid controllers.

Not much you can do except try the latest builds, and keep an eye out here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_status_of_open_bugs

Personally I said something impolite much too loud for my office
environment, then went out and bought a pair of (expensive) Adaptec
(real) RAID controllers, which work beautifully.

Cheers,

--

Paul Blonde
EnTel Communications Inc