problems changing character encoding of files

Hiisi very-cool at
Thu Aug 20 15:16:01 UTC 2009

Hello everybody!
I have a folder full of html files. Each file has this tag in head
Here's output of file command:
file -bi one_of_files
text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
There's cyrillic symbols in files and I'm having troubles when trying to
view or edit files. Instead of cyrillic symbols I can only see series of
<EF><C4><C5><D6><C4><C1> or something like that..
I tried
$ iconv -f utf8 -t koi8 one_of_files

        <link REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="style.css">
        <title>iconv: virheellinen syötesarja kohdassa 179
The last line says there's wrong symbol at place 179.
When I tried to open files if Firefox everything worked just fine - I
could see the correct symbols in KOI-8-R encoding.
Is there a way to change encoding for every file in the folder?
Thank in advance!
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: