raid stripe size vs performance

Phill phanback at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 20:43:27 UTC 2009

I'm rebuilding a RHEL 5 server used primarily for building code. It has perc 6i controller and I'm installing 6 15K sas drives. The plan is to setup a raid 10 configuration for improved performance. Does anyone know if I can significantly increase or degrade my performance by selecting a larger stripe size? The default is 64k and I have read in a performance report that a 512k size may be more desirable for Linux systems. Thanks for any replies.