Unable to kill runaway app. -

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Thu Aug 20 23:19:20 UTC 2009

Bob Goodwin wrote, On 12/23/-28158 02:59 PM:
> I've added the option soft to the client /etc/fstab which may make it
> possible to interrupt things?
>
> That is, if I have done the right thing in the right place.
>
> Bob

Assuming that after you reboot[1], the situation is better with soft, I would suggest going back to
hard but use the intr[2] option.
i.e.
server:/usr/local/pub    /pub   nfs    hard,intr

I have seen soft loose data on networks that are some what loaded, with out even giving you any
error notifications.  The probability seemed somewhat proportional with how many times larger the
file you are writing is than the wsize parameter.

[1] so that the process that is currently stuck and CAN NOT be killed is finally terminated. :)

[2] man nfs|grep -3  EINTR
     or read the man and search for intr
--
Todd Denniston