Chinese input methods

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Aug 22 04:36:45 UTC 2009

On 08/22/2009 12:09 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Fedora 11 has changed the input method system yet again. The new
>> system looks like its probably an improvement. However, I can't find
>> many of the input methods that used to be available with SCIM in
>> earlier versions. Things like jyut ping. Have I missed something, or
>> do I need to change from Fedora 11 to something usable?
>>

> I've not checked....but do you have scim-chewing installed?  I thought
> that included jyutping....

I have chewing installed. That only gives you the Taiwanese input
scheme. Jyut ping was amongst the simple table inputs in SCIM. As far as
I can see only a few of those simple table input methods have been
carried across to ibus.

I do hope ibus becomes the one final input scheme. This endless changing
of input schemes, with more concern about the code than about users
entering characters, has been a huge pain for anyone who uses
Chinese/Japanese/Korean on Linux (and maybe other languages for all I know).

Steve