Cron Problem

rgheck rgheck at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 13:17:36 UTC 2009

Hi,

Here is a line from my cron file:

55 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 * * * audiogon.pl -f /tmp/rss/bw.xml
'http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?WORD=b%26w&FOCUS=EXY&CTGSK=spkrfull&submit=Search'

It doesn't matter here what the audiogon.pl script does. (It scrapes the
URL given and creates an RSS feed.) The problem is that this will not run.

> /bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
> /bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

The subject line of the email reads:

Cron <rgheck at rghquad> /home/rgheck/bin/audiogon.pl -f /tmp/rss/bw.xml
'http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?WORD=b

So the problem seems to be the embedded "%26" in the command: Thats is
the URL-encoding for the ampersand (we're searching for "B&W"
loudspeakers).  But even the single-quotes seem not to be protecting it
from the shell. And is it relevant that it encodes the ampersand? Or is
it the "%" that is causing the problem?

Whichever it is, does anyone know how this can be made to run?

Thanks,
Richard