FC11 - flash plugin for Firefox

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Sat Aug 22 22:52:48 UTC 2009

________________________________
> From: ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:02:19 -0400
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: FC11 - flash plugin for Firefox
>

> If someone knows of another flash plugin that does not have
>
> this problem, please let me know.
>
> I know of two other options for Flash support under FF on Linux, but both are worse than Adobe's plugin, in my experience:
>
> * gnash: Youtube video and sound work. Many other flash sites fail.
>

> * swfdec: Youtube video works, but I get no audio. Many other flash sites fail.
>

> I think the problem is that neither gnash nor swfdec support Flash 10 features--I don't know whether 10 represents a new file format, or just some extensions. When the Adobe plugin is installed, FF's about:plugins page lists both Shockwave 9 and Shockwave 10 support, while it only shows 9 with gnash/swfdec.
>

> If you want to try them, do a 'yum remove flash-plugin' and then do (for gnash) `yum install gnash gnash-plugin`, or (for swfdec) do `yum install swfdec swfdec-gtk swfdec-mozilla gstreamer-ffmpeg`. I don't know what happens when both are installed at once, you could certainly try it. Make sure to restart FF after installing a new plugin, too.
>

> I'm running F11 x86-64, so it's a little different from your setup. Maybe you will get better results than I did. Good luck.
>
> -Ryan

Thank you Ryan. I too used to run x86_64 on my Athlon64 system
I go tired of having to install the wrappers, which failed more often than
I cared to put up with.

I just uninstalled adobe flash 10, and installed gnash and gnash-plugin. Will restrart browser and try this. Will let you know how it went
in a couple of days, because I need to see if the audio stuttering will happen again.

Cheers,

MK