avidemux: trouble initialising audio device

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Aug 23 02:10:39 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 23:37:18 +0200
> Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>> If you run avidemux with the command
>>
>>   pasuspender -- avidemux
>>
>> pulseaudio will be disabled until avidemux exits, so avidemux will access
>> the ALSA driver.
>
> I don't think that's it. I have pulseaudio uninstalled on my system
> and I also see the messages about audio. I really wish I could
> just disable audio in avidemux, but haven't seen any way to get it
> to forget about audio.

I don't know - I used to get errors like that before I started using
PA when one program had not released the sound hardware before
another program tried to use them. (The exact wording depends on the
program generating the error message.)

Dumb question - can you add a null audio device in Alsa like you can
with PA to send the output to the bit bucket?

Mikkel