YPBIND Failure

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Aug 24 01:19:31 UTC 2009

    I'm trying to replace an old server (still running RH7.3) with a new
one (running FC11).  For the most part, everything works ... except the
YP setup.  The way things are configured is that this machine is the YP
master, and then I have a 3rd machine that's binding to it to get the
user information it needs.  As far as I can tell, all the configuration
files and everything is setup identical as the old machine ... except,
the 3rd machine has issues.  When I launch ypbind, it binds properly, no
errors.  However, when I test logging in with a user, it tells me the
password failed.  So obviously there's something wrong.  It's almost as
if the password map isn't being passed or checked, but for the life of
me I can't figure out why.

    Is there still someone out there who knows enough about YP that can
help me track this puppy down?  Thanks!