A good desktop Wi-Fi card for Fedora 10

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 24 11:58:07 UTC 2009

Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM, William M. Quarles
> <walrus at bellsouth.net <mailto:walrus at bellsouth.net>> wrote:
>
>     Does anybody know of a good desktop PCI wireless ethernet card that
>     I can buy and use with Fedora 10? I bought a new OEM HP
>     Atheros-based wireless card, but it conflicts with my Sigma Designs
>     REALMagic Hollywood Plus DVD/MPEG-2 decoder card, both in Windows XP
>     Pro and in Fedora 10. Also, since I am trying to do a dual-boot
>     setup, I couldn't get good drivers for Windows XP for the card. Any
>     ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
>     Thanks,
>     William
>

> I don't currently use Wi-Fi on my desktop(s)... since I cabled my home
> with five gigabit-ethernet sockets per room. :-)
>
> But when I did use Wi-Fi, I used cardbus cards hooked to pci-to-cardbus
> adapters.
>
> Here's some:
>
> Addonics ADPCICB2 - $49
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023LTKK?ie=UTF8&tag=mnmsprst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00023LTKK
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023LTKK?ie=UTF8&tag=mnmsprst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00023LTKK>
>
> And
> D-Link A/G Wi-Fi Cardbus adapter - $11.78
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001PFO3C?ie=UTF8&tag=mnmsprst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0001PFO3C
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001PFO3C?ie=UTF8&tag=mnmsprst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0001PFO3C>
>
> Total: $60.78
>
> This also gives you the flexibility of exchanging Wi-Fi cards when new
> standards arrive, or exchanging cards in case of trouble, without
> opening up the case.
>
> (Cardbus cards are, for all intents and purposes, the same as PCI)

Well, except for the fact you can remove a Cardbus adapter while the
computer is still running with little trouble.

Thanks for the tip, but I'd still be much more interested in a PCI
card... although I do have the urge to add a Cardbus adapter later for a
professional recording Cardbus sound card, so that I can also use the
card on my laptop. I think that you might have overpaid for that
PCI=to-Cardbus adaptor though, I could have sworn that I have seen them
at a lower price before.

Does anybody out there know of some good PCI wireless netowkring cards
that aren't Atheros-based?

Thanks,
William