Whence commeth eth0?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Aug 25 16:55:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:16:52 -0700
Geoffrey Leach wrote:

> My ASUS MB returned from repair with ethernet device changed from eth0
> to eth1 and a new MAC address. Is this information encoded on the chip
> (meaning that they replaced the chip) or ... ?

They may have replaced the whole motherboard. In any case, the file you
want is probably:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

When you install, the mac address gets recorded there so it can
always get the same name, unfortunately, when you swap NIC
interfaces, that means the new one will never be named eth0
till you fiddle with this file to make sure the mac address
it is looking for matches.