What to do if frozen ?

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 17:35:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> If you say absolutely nothing about what your application is for or
>>> where it came from, how do you expect people to help you?
>> What do you need to know about my application ?
>
> Put it this way: you said "my app is swapping, why is this"? The only
> coherent answer is that its virtual memory demand is too high for your
> machine (in combination with all the other apps you're running). As to
> *why* it's too high, it could be anything from a basic requirement (e.g.
> you're inverting huge matrices in the most simplistic way) to a simple
> memory leak. That's why it's important to say what the app is doing.
> Also, does it show this behaviour all the time, or only after it's been
> running for a long time?

The serious problems appear after I updated from fedora 10 i386 to
fedora 11 x86_64.

I do agree that I may have memory leak, and I tried to work to it but I
do not see what else I can do. I am using perl calling CPP calling perl.
I do not know how to have full control on the memory. I do my
deallocations as well as I can.
But, as I said I identified similar behavior with firefox. In addition
I also doubled the memory size (compared to i386).
My calculation tells me that I only need ~350 000 Mo (204 * 204 * double) !
for the matrix diagonalization. However, I do not have 100% control under
the packages that I am using: PDL and Minuit (in term of memory allocation).
If they do not it right, what can I do ?

By the way, when your application takes 67% of the memory and consumes
only 2% of the CPU (and no additional application is using the CPU), it
looks like that you would like to do something because their are still 33%
of the memory available !

Regards.

--
---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk