F11: httpd problems

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Aug 25 23:41:31 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> To my surpise, I somehow ended up not
> being able to shutdown httpd!
>
> # killall httpd
> # service httpd start
> Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> # service httpd stop
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> # service httpd restart
> Stopping httpd:                                            [FAILED]
> Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
> address [::]:80
> (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
> Unable to open logs
>
> and yet all of the httpd daemons are still running.
>
> I can stop all of the httpd with the killall command
> but the point is, why does the service command fail
> to shut it down?
>
> Note, that when rebooting, httpd starts up with no
> reported errors as far as I can tell, it is not in the
> messages logs.
>
> Any pointers on this?

That's usually caused by the httpd.pid file being in a different spot
than the startup script expects it to be.  The "stop" looks for that
file and uses the PID inside it to kill Apache.  If the file can't
be found, it aborts the shutdown.

The scripts expcect the pid file to be /var/run/httpd/httpd.pid.  Check
your /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file and make sure that the "PidFile
argument agrees with that.
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -