change login screen

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 26 00:02:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 15:22 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Yea, I want to know where this list is of actual documented cases of
> people screwing up their systems by using GUI tools in ways they
> couldn't have with the command line (rm -rf / was a well known warning
> before there even was a GUI :-).

The common problem was people screwing up themselves.

They'd log in as root, do everything as root, all their personal files
were owned as root.  The moment they tried to log in as themselves, they
couldn't use their own files.  And would use that to justify why they
needed to log in as root.  Instead of acknowledging that they'd stupidly
painted themselves into the corner, in the first place.

That and an incomprehension about system setting versus personal
configuration settings.

To use a Fedora computer, you don't need to be root.  I haven't come
across a single application that needs you to be root to USE it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.