F11: gnome-session save is flaky.

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Aug 26 00:10:47 UTC 2009

On 08/25/2009 04:47 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>
>> Some applications are not saved/restored after
>> a boot and then a login. Sometimes, logging out
>> and logging back in will restore certain applications,
>> but it seems rather flaky.
>>
>> I sure hope this will be resolved, at least in F12, but it
>> is better than F10, where it is not even implemented.
>
> I believe that the application has to cooperate with the session manager
> for that to fully work.  For example, I have Skype on my third desktop.
> When I reboot or log back in, Skype always shows up on the first desktop
> instead of the third.  Other apps such as Pidgin and my gnome-terminals
> show up on desktops they were on when I logged out/rebooted.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks at nerd.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -       "Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context."       -

Well, you would think that creating several Gnome Terminal Sessions
on different desktops would work? I had 4 GTS on the first desktop,
3 GTS on the 2nd Desktop, and one really expanded GTS on the third
Desktop, and I find that sometimes the 3rd GTS ended up on the 1st
Desktop, the 3rd of the 3 GTS, ended up on the 1st Desktop and I find
that sometimes logging out then logging back in restores everything to
the correct Desktops, but not always.  I am of course assuming that the
GTS is correctly implemented but I could be wrong! ;)

FWIW,
Dan