About configuring a kernel, and CONFIG_PREEMPT

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 26 15:06:40 UTC 2009

I may need to rebuild the Fedora Kernel, something I haven't done for
many years, to (hopefully) reduce the large number of xruns that I'm
getting using jackd.  The plan is to build a preemtable kernel.

     1. It look like the file .config in the kernel-devel RPM contains
        the configuration parameters for the kernel that goes with that
        version of kernel-devel.  For example, right now, I'm running
        kernel version 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64, so this would mean
        that /usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.x86_64/.config
        contains the configuration parameters for that kernel.
     2. This .config file generates a kernel with voluntary preemption.
        Is this to avoid a bug or suchlike, or just to generate a kernel
        thought to be best for general use?
     3. The natural way to do this would seem to be to unpack the kernel
        source, using