Removing one drive from a RAID 1 setup?

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 15:42:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Philip Rhoades<phil at pricom.com.au> wrote:
> People,
>
> One of my drives from a software RAID 1 setup on F11 is failing - smartctl
> shows:
>
> sdc
>  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail Always
> -       13
>
> - the last number has been gradually growing.
>
> If I remove this drive, is it straightforward to continue using the
> remaining drive (sdd) with it's normal ext3 partition and the data still
> intact?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
> --

There is no problem the faulty drive is not the first drive
Drives are renamed if you remove one in the middle, so to speak.
Because of the possibility of bad hard drives, it's always a good
option to have a spare in the configuration.

Try going to the linux-raid at vger.kernel.org to get more specific
answers.

~af