Where is pulseaudio started?

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 26 19:25:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:03:08 -0700
Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 09:25 +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> > stan wrote:
> > > If you are using the default Fedora setup, you have your own
> > > version of pulse started when you log in.  I notice that it also
> > > can be started by programs that need its services, and that seems
> > > to be gconf-helper.
> >
> > Isn't "autospawn" activated by default in /etc/pulse/client.conf?
> > That means you can have pulseaudio started by who knows what.
>
> I don't think so.  On my system (Fedora-11 vanilla) autospawn is
> commented out.
>
> jon

It's commented out in my F10 system too.

I really didn't think that this was going to be a difficult question!

I'm assuming that where pulseaudio is started can change from
distribution to distribution which is why I'm asking on this list.

I don't want to disable pulseaudio, I just want to understand what it
does and how it works om my system a little better.

Steve