headphone jack dosen't work on laptop on F11... any ideas?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Wed Aug 26 20:46:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:13:49 -0700
David Lam <david.k.lam1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> running 2.6.29.5-191.fc11.x86_64 on my hp pavillion laptop,  when I
> plug in headphones I expect for the speakers to be muted and sound to
> come in the headphones, but I find there isn't any affect-- namely,
> sounds till comes from the speakers and no sound in the headphones
> just as if I hadn't plugged them in, in the first place.
>
> anyone experience/fix something like this before?

I see occasional messages on the alsa lists for this on various
hardware, as well as occasional messages about patches fixing it for
certain hardware.  It usually means that there is a configuration error
in the driver.  You should run the alsa-info.sh script so you identify
http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-driver.git;a=blob_plain;f=utils/alsa-info.sh
your hardware correctly (or aplay -l which is easier) and then do a web
search with your alsa driver, card, and headphone.  There are fixes
going into the alsa drivers all the time so you might want to pick up
the latest driver snapshot, compile it, and load the module for your
card to see if it fixes the problem.

If you don't find a fix and you have the programming chops, you could
fix the driver and submit a patch.

There used to be links to tarball snapshots by Takashi Iwai of the
alsa packages on the alsa website, but I don't see them anymore.  There
is a link to the git repository under developers and the latest stable
release.

http://alsa-project.org/