Pulseaudio config problem.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 23:29:24 UTC 2009

On 26/08/09 00:51, stan wrote:
> No idea?  It should be turned off.  Run
> alsamixer -c 1
> and use the arrow keys to go to the entries that have IEC958 in them.
> Use 0 to turn them off, and down arrow to lower volumes if necessary.
> Do the same procedure with
> alsamixer -c 0

Done.

>> In the tab "Output Devices" I also see two areas, the first named
>> "Simultaneous output or internal Audio" and the next "internal
>> Audio". Which devices do they relate to?
>
> The internal sound device, the one on the motherboard.

This is card 0 and the one I want to disable.

> It doesn't sound like you need to disable the CS46 in pulse because it
> isn't seeing it anyway, though alsa is.  There is probably a bug there,
> but it suits your purposes.

CS46xx is card 1 and that's where the speakers are connected.

> So after the above adjustments, if you use a sound application, say
> audacity, and go into Edit -> Preferences and change the output device
> to alsa hw:1,0, import a sound file, it should play.  Or do the
> equivalent with another sound application.  And aplay -D plughw:1,0
> some.wav should play sound.  If the CS46 card is connected to speakers
> or an amp or tuner (i.e. it has a way to actually *play* the sound).

Yes, that works but audacity is the only application on my system that
allows this hw:1,0 specification. I assume it bypasses PulseAudio. Could it
be that PulseAudio is only able to talk to card 0?

--
Erik.