Monitor does not go into standby when in X

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Aug 27 16:25:06 UTC 2009

I had some time this morning, so after getting everything up2date, I
tried this:

1.  Rebooted into level3.  Sat at the login prompt for about 5 minutes
and watched my monitor go into standby.  Cool.  So the system *can* do it.

2.  Logged in and waited a while.  Monitor went into standby again.  So,
it's not a matter of being logged in.

3.  Rebooted into level5.  Logged in.  Waited 45 minutes.  Screen saver
comes on, then screen goes blank, but the monitor power button is green,
not yellow.

It appears that either X or gnome-power-manager is just refusing to put
the monitor into standby.

How do I get Fedora / Gnome / X to use power-saving modes for monitor
standby?

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by rhpxl