network configuration (WAS: help)

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Thu Aug 27 18:14:18 UTC 2009

> I have ubuntu 8.1 on my laptop and installed fedora 11 on my desktop.
> checked all my settings on fedora against ubuntu and they are the
same.
> fedora says there is a connection but firefox says it is unable to
> locate the server and system update says problem connecting to
software
> source. is there a command I can issue in the terminal that will allow
> internet access. I am not real famlar with terminal commands. Thanks
>
> > Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:32:01 -0400
> > From: mhaney at ercbroadband.org
> > To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> > Subject: Re: help
> >
> > rgheck wrote:
> Internet
> the
> > >>
> > > It ought just to connect.
> > >

> > > Choose "Edit connections". Select the connection you want to use
and
> > > choose "Edit". Make sure "Connect automatically" is checked. Check
> the
> > > IPv4 settings, and make sure they are right for your network.
> > >
> > > rh
> > >

> > Yet another reason that Network Manager needs to go away.  It's a
> giant
> > PITA.
Hello, Brian! And welcome on board!
First of all:
1 Stop top-posting!
2 Do not send e-mails as html to this list
3 I would suggest a better subject line, if you don't mind
4 Read list guide-lines. (you can find them at the end of every digest)

To the topic:
on F11 try
ping google.com
If everything is in order you will see process of packets sending (stop
it by pressing Ctrl-C). If no - there will be some error.
Run 'ifconfig' and 'route' commands in Ubuntu. Then check that the
output on Fedora machine is the same. If it isn't - try read 'man
ifconfig' and 'man route'. In case of any problems let us know.
Respectfully
--
Hiisi.