Sound does not work

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Aug 27 22:37:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:37:07 -0700 (PDT)
Adil Adil <adil.drissi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not able to disable the volume. there is no section for
> controlling the volume in the result of the command you gave me. and
> the amixer commands are not easy. So I need help with this please. I
> give you the settings that i have now: ====================== Simple
> mixer control 'IEC958',0 Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [on]
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
>   Capabilities: volume volume-joined
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Capture channels: Mono
>   Limits: 0 - 3
>   Mono: 0 [0%]
> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback Source',0
>   Capabilities: enum
>   Items: 'AC-Link' 'A/D Converter'
>   Item0: 'AC-Link'

I think you only need to run one command to get them all taken care of.

amixer -c 0 sset IEC958 playback mute

This should turn off IEC958 and make the settings on the other two
irrelevant.  You can check the result either by trying to play a wav
file with aplay, or running alsa-info.sh again.

You will need alsa-utils package installed to have the command amixer
available.

Note that I do not have access to your hardware, so cannot test any of
this and have no experience of any other quirks it might have.