add an extra ip address to fedora server (one net card)

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Aug 28 15:34:54 UTC 2009

online.service.com at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks all,
>
> I will have two static ips as 77.78.8.111 and 77.78.8.89
>
> I will have this configure:
>

> DEVICE=eth0:0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=77.78.8.111
> BROADCAST = ???????
> NETWORK=????
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> ONBOOT=yes
>

> and
>
> DEVICE=eth0:1
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=77.78.8.89
> BROADCAST = ??????
> NETWORK=????
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> ONBOOT=yes
>

> What value would for BROADCAST and NETMASK ?

You really don't need to specify either.  The system will sort it out,
but to answer your question, in both cases they'd be:

	BROADCAST=77.78.8.255
	NETWORK=77.78.8.0

NETWORK is the IP address masked by (ANDed with) the network mask.
BROADCAST is the NETWORK address with all the host bits set to ones.
-         It is better to have loved and lost.  Cheaper, too!        -