packagekit broke rhythmbox

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Aug 28 19:48:17 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Mike Wright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Using f10 here.
>>
>> When I got to my desk this morning the system was still "cleaning up".
>> There was a popup on my desktop that showed a blue progress bar beneath
>> which was "sos".  Gee that's useful.  Had to manually kill the updater.
>> (should be called degrader ;)
>>
>> Here is what "ps" has to say:
>>
>> rhythmbox
>>  \_ /usr/libexec/gst-install-plugins-helper --transient-for=58720289
>> gstreamer|0.10|rhythmbox|text/html decoder|decoder-text/html
>>
> Don't interrupt downloads. I assume it was getting the
>   /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sos
> file when you killed it, probably leaving things python broken.

Thanks for the help, Bill.

I thought the sos was an s.o.s. :D

It had been 16 hours already and I'm on a 1.5meg dsl line so my guess is
the interruption likely happened elsewhere.  I'm just the evil killer :)

If the problem arose because of that, how do I repair the damage?  I
tried every yum thing I know, but removing python to re-install it would
take most of the system with it.

The database is clean, no dupes, it verifies, and I'm stumped.

I just want my radio back ;(  <--- that's not a wink, it's a tear...