packagekit broke rhythmbox

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 21:30:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 02:09:01PM -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> stan wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:48:17 -0700
>> Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The database is clean, no dupes, it verifies, and I'm stumped.
>>
>> If you have yum-utils installed, if you haven't already done so,
>> you can run the command
>>
>> package-cleanup --problems
>>
>> If this shows no problems, as seems likely from your comment above, run
>>

>> yum-complete-transaction
>>
>> It will look for transactions that didn't finish and try to complete
>> them.  PackageKit actually uses yum under the covers, so it should find
>> any from packagekit also.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, why not try another update?  I don't recommend
>> "yum clean all" in this case as that will remove all the packages
>> you've already downloaded at such cost.  Cleaning the metadata ensures
>> that you get new repo data.
>>
>> yum clean metadata
>> yum update
>>
>> This should work because yum doesn't actually update any packages until
>> all the packages are downloaded and it has run a transaction test.
>>

> Thanks both to Paul and Stan.  You all are going to love this.
>
> I created a file with the contents of the station link:
>
>     http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.m3u
>
> I opened that as a PlayList in VLC, made my selection and tried to play
> it.  error...restart...error...restart... ad infinitum.  But the error
> wasn't coming from cbcr1-toronto.m3u, it was coming from, gonna love it,
> http://vorbis.nm.cbc.ca:80/cbcr1-toronto.ogg.

[pfrields at localhost ~]$ links -dump http://vorbis.nm.cbc.ca:80/cbcr1-toronto.ogg
ELinks: Host not found

So that's probably why -- their M3U file is just wrong.  When I open
that URL with rhythmbox on F-11, I get a host not found error.  You
might want to report the bad file content to the cbc.ca webmasters.

> So I changed the extension to .ogg:
>
>     http://www.cbc.ca/livemedia/cbcr1-toronto.ogg
>
> and reopened the PlayList in VLC, selected its one item and, ecco me qua
> donna mia, it began to play.

This was a good guess, basically.  They happened to have the expected
file at the good host (www.cbc.ca).