[OT] Run LiveUSB on machine that can't boot from usbkey?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 16:06:07 UTC 2009

I have an old laptop that I use for testing new versions of Fedora - however
although it will boot of a physical CD containing a LiveCD (say of F12
Alpha), it is old enough not to be able to boot off usb devices since the
BIOS is not arranged to do so. So a usbkey that contains a LiveCD that works
perfectly well on other machines won't play on this particular machine
(Fijitsu-Siemens Amilo D 6800)

Can anyone point me to a reference to work around this by booting off say an
altered grub stansa in the HD which then refers to a plugged in usbkey to
continue loading the LiveCD files from the usbkey? Or something similar?

I usually try to avoid using optical media if possible for running both
installs and testing LiveCDs.