Multiple IP addresses without aliasing?

Ryan B. Lynch ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 23:40:25 UTC 2009

On 08/29/2009 04:18 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> But now you have gotten to the real heart of the matter, which is not
> the aliases at all, but the filenames, if I read it correctly. And
> that opens up a whole can of solutions, depending on the part of
> Windows which is upset with the colon. Not knowing where the problem
> lies, I can't offer the slightest help, but there are other shells for
> Windows if the problem lies there, or whole Linux versions running in
> VM, paravirtualized, under qemu, or as a microkernel using colinux.

I'm going to save you several hours' worth of researching:  NTFS isn't
capable of handling ':' characters in path names.  There is no simple
way to handle this, client-side, even in SVN.

You present a great idea, though--virtual machines!  Each Windows user
could install and run a whole virtual machine, and just switch over to
using Linux.  That sounds like a fantastic idea.  It's so easy, too--all
I'd have to do is:

 - install virtualization software on those workstations
 - find or build a suitable Linux image
 - convince Windows users that the memory and disk sacrifices are worthwhile
 - teach/convince Windows users to use a Linux interface, dev tools, etc.
 - support the users, maintain the Linux images, etc.

Man, and I was going to write a 10-line BASH script that runs a couple
of 'ip addr' commands.  Crazy, I know--I'm glad I can use virtualization
to solve this problem, instead.

> Your problem, if I understand it, is a Windows problem, not Fedora.

That's a bit of a philosophical question, isn't it?

But this is getting kind of silly.  My original question has been
answered:  The Fedora network init scripts DO NOT support multiple IPs,
end of story.

-Ryan