Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Aug 30 09:22:52 UTC 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009 01:09:35 Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> If you select "Zoom Out" from one of your NEW activities, your original
> desktop is NOT included amongst the desktops that are accessible from your
> pager. If you choose this option, your original desktop is NOT deleted.  It
> just is not displayed in your pager.  In fact, you can keep your new
> activities, and go back to using your old desktop if you choose, with no
> fear of losing your new activities...

When you zoom out your Desktop 1 may not be visible.  You should be able to
drag the screen about, to see all the desktops you have, which makes it easy
to get back to your original desktop.

Even better - look at
http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ#How_can_I_quickly_move_between_Activities.3F
and follow the link to the how-to.  This sets up a new panel, which can be
short if you wish, and places to autohide, with one-click switching between
Activities.  I use this on my netbook, where space is a premium, and it works
flawlessly.  It doesn't always autohide at first login, but touch it and it
does, after which it has no further problem.

Yes, things are not perfect, but they are improving all the time.  Keep an eye
on Plasma pages in userbase.  Some of the devs are keeping it pretty well up
to date.

Anne