no medium xterm font

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Aug 30 15:43:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, stan wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:35:31 -0500 (CDT)
> Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>
>> It almost worked.
>> The medium font is wider than the normal font,
>> but not any taller.
>> The large font is taller and even wider than the medium font.
>>
>> In other words, I have two choices: too small or too wide.
>> Arrrg.
>>

> I like the dejavu fonts.  Install them and try them out.  If you don't
> like them you can always remove them.  There are lots of other fonts as
> well.

The issue for me is height and width, not beauty.
For an xterm or other console, I normally want fixed-width.

According to xwininfo,
with the normal font there is room for 6x13 pixel characters,
with the medium font, 8x13 pixel characters.
I would expect 3 interline pixel rows and character sizes 6x10 and 8x10,
but /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/XTerm contains:

> *fontMenu.Label:  VT Fonts
> *fontMenu*fontdefault*Label:    Default
> *fontMenu*font1*Label:  Unreadable
> *VT100.font1:           nil2
> *IconFont:              nil2
> *fontMenu*font2*Label:  Tiny
> *VT100.font2:           5x7
> *fontMenu*font3*Label:  Small
> *VT100.font3:           6x10
> *fontMenu*font4*Label:  Medium
> *VT100.font4:           7x13
> *fontMenu*font5*Label:  Large
> *VT100.font5:           9x15
> *fontMenu*font6*Label:  Huge
> *VT100.font6:           10x20
> *fontMenu*fontescape*Label:     Escape Sequence
> *fontMenu*fontsel*Label:        Selection

No two fonts have the same height.
Until I understand what's going on, I really don't dare tinker.
What's going on?

> yum install dejavu\*

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.