gwave compile no-go on Fedora 10

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sun Aug 30 19:22:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:57:14 -0400
"Comcast Mail" <kc8ldo at arrl.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to compile gwave2-20090213.tar.gz and all I get is a
> config script error about a
> missing guile module "gnome-2".
>
> >From the looks of things several of the required files are out of
> >date. I
> have updated
> the system to what ever are the current revisions, see below lists.
> It appears that several
> of the files are out of date, and have been for some time now. I
> would try to build and
> install the newer versions however I don't want to hose the system if
> the source versions
> install differently than the native Fedora ones.

If these autoconf files are like most, the default is to install in
/usr/local/.  That heirarchy is outside the purview of package managers.
So it won't affect anything to do with the package managers.  And you
can usually run from the build directory even before installing, to test
i.e. from a X terminal in the build directory, ./program_name.

You should be able to set the install path as part of the ./configure
if it isn't /usr/local.

> Anybody have any luck with gwave? All it does for me is crash every
> time I try to open a file

The version on F11 x86_64 is Gwave2 20090124.  It opens fine.  I'm not
sure how to use it.  When I try to open a wav file, it gives an error,
but doesn't crash, and still is available for use.  What kind of file is
it looking for?