doc to html from a cmdline?

Paul W. Frields stickster at
Mon Feb 9 14:56:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:33:58PM +0000, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
> Steven W. Orr wrote:
>> I have about 75 doc files. If I bring one up in ooffice, I can save it
>> as a .html file with no problem. Is there a way to do it from the
>> command line? All this clickety is going to take me too long.
> sudo yum install wv
> for filename in `ls *.doc`;
>   do
>       htmlname=`echo $filename | sed -e 's/.doc/.html/g'`
>       /usr/bin/wvHtml $filename $htmlname
>   done;
> Depending on what your Word files are, your conversion mileage may differ.

Or, since is giving you the results you like, rather
than switching rendering, you could do the following:

1. Make sure that the PyUNO bits for are installed.  On
Fedora 10, this is the "" package (go figure).

2. Download this helpful script, which I found by googling:

3. Do a batch conversion:

   for F in *.doc ; do
       H="$(basename "$F" .doc).html"
       python "$F" "$H"

Note my little batch command is very similar to the one above; I just
happen to be using the "basename" command, which I think most distros

Paul W. Frields
  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717   -  -  -  - stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug