Help... Can't boot!

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 14:47:44 UTC 2009

Quoting Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com>:

> okay, what I would do here is use the grub console to find /boot...
>
> in case you don't know how:
>
> hit 'c' to bring up the console
>
> type root (hd <TAB>
> grub should fill in the disks it can see (hopefully hd0/1/2)
>
> for each of those, try
> root (hdX,<TAB>
>
> which should give you the partition layouts and types
>
> then for each of the (hdX,0) partitions, try
>
> kernel (hdX,0)/ <TAB>
>
> one of them should have your vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 file on
> it. use that one in your "root (hdX,0)" statement.
>
> hit <ESC> to get back to the menu and edit the 'root' statement
> accordingly. See if it works after that.
>
> I think, from your previous post, that you may be pointing grub at what
> you think is sdc, which may only have
> sdc1 - Extended
> sdc5 - first logical partition
>
> on it.
>

> I had a similar issue with the installer seeing my disks in a different
> order to what I expected.

Well, when I boot off the install DVD in rescue mode, it shows up
correctly. I'm reinstalling yet again, this time, I told the installer
to swap the disk order from what is in bios. We'll see how that
goes... Hopefully I didn't just end up wiping my /home (and all my MP3
files! <G>)

If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll put the old SDC back in the
system as the primary HDD, wipe it and let Fedora use it to boot off of.