Fedora 9, OpenOffice 3 and Arial Black

Nicolae Ghimbovschi xfreebird at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:52:36 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have on a machine Fedora 9 where I have installed OpenOffice from
openoffice.org. Also on that machine I have installed ms core truetype
fonts.
I installed the truetype fonts in /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts/ttf  and
the Type1 fonts in  /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts/Type1.

After, I run in both these dirs: mkfontscale, mkfontdir, ttmkfdir and
fc-cache -fv.

The problem is when I open a .doc file which is using Arial Black
font, it looks as it is simple Arial and not Arial Black

While doing the same thing in Fedora 10 (using the default openoffice
3). Arial Black looks as it should.

Does anybody have a clue what might be wrong ?
How different are openoffice builds distributed by openoffice.org from
those distributed by the fedora community ?

Thank you !