Network interfaces refusing to start on boot: F10

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 6 21:25:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 12:46 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> One of NetworkManager's missions is to utterly frustrate and harass
> those that make no effort whatsoever to understand it's purpose and just
> want to muscle everything as root like they've always done.
>
> I agree that it's much easier to just disable it and then dismiss it as
> broken than it is to actually figure out what it's good for and how to
> live with it.
>
> I would bet dollars to doughnuts that everyone who dismisses
> NetworkManager out of hand also disables SELinux too.

Wrong! But NM did no cut it for me as it is started too late to allow
static NFS mounts (netfs is started in runlevel 25, while NM is started
in l27). It start too late to allow rpc.gssd to work (I run Kerberos +
NFS4).
NM is mice in a simple setup, but for my environment I need static
networking. And yes Selinux is on for sure (on both my WS ans my little
server).

NM is nice on a laptop as it adds flexibility that a static
configuration lacks (even with profiles). I don't recall if I tried IPv6
on NM, so I will not comment on that
> Craig

Louis