HiJacking Threads Was: hostapd for Fedora 10

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 14:51:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Don't you think that would be a time wasting sorting
> practice...especially when you consider that there could be multiple
> unique threads, each with dozens of messages in a given folder?

Most modern mail clients seem to cache this information in local
files, same as they do with index info (to avoid having to parse a
potentially huge mbox file every time they visit a folder).

> Don't
> you think using another header designed to help that task would be useful?

Of course I do. I have nothing against the References header. My only
point is that In-Reply-To is still very much in use.

This is really getting quite OT. The original issue was that Subject
threading is only ever used as a last resort (at least in Linux/Unix
clients) so people messing with it in the hope of changing the thread
topology are wasting their own and everyone else's time.

poc