Network Manager, Firefox and more on FC10

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jan 13 16:07:33 UTC 2009

McGuffey, David C. wrote:

>>  SNIP
>
> I almost hate to bring this topic up again because it was beaten to
> death earlier.  However…I’m having a problem with NetworkManager
> scribbling a bizarre netmask into my *SUPPOSEDLY* static address info
> for eth0.
>

> I get it configured, and it works for a while, then I end up with dns
> lookup failures.  When I go to NetworkManager I find it has duplicated
> the gateway address (192.168.1.1) into the netmask entry also.
>

> Getting static addressing to work under NetworkManager has been nothing
> short of a hair-pulling experience.  The folks working NetworkManager
> need to understand that not *ALL* linux boxes will travel…some are
> single-purpose boxes on networks that have a security policy that
> mandates static addressing.  When one checks the static address button,
> NetworkManager must absolutely stop scribbling in places it shouldn’t!!!!
>

> */ Dave McGuffey /*
>
> */ Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM /*
>
> */ SAIC, IISBU, Columbia , MD /*

This is interesting as I was trying to setup a static IP using
system-config-network and had the same problem.  I was not using Network
Manager because I need my network live at all times.

I thought Network Manager was doing this at first but I don't even have
Network Manager installed on this machine.

It looks like there is a bug in the network configuration scripts that
don't set the correct netmask.

--
Robin Laing