F9 doesn't find swap or /root system on new motherboard

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jan 18 01:23:02 UTC 2009

M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, January 18, 2009 1:36 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>

>> Read the man page for mkinitrd - it tells you how to include
>> specific modules, as well as an option to overwrite the current
>> initrd.
>
> just to be sure (sorry, it's almost 2 am here and I'm really tired), this
> works even if the distro and kernel on the laptop where I'll run mkinitrd
> are different from the target system?
>
>> But you have to know the module you need for the new controller.
>
> you mean it's "only" a question of finding what that module is, right?
> That board has a geforce 8300 controller, should I get the module from the
> nVidia drivers?
>
> Thanks again,
> M.

I am guessing it is the sata_nv module, but I could be wrong. It
does get a bit complicated, as you have to tell it the proper kernel
- the initrd has to match the kernel you are booting from.

I have never built an initrd this way, so I am guessing here. (I
have done it in the new machine, booting in the rescue mode. I would
try something like this:

chroot <mount point for drive>
mount -a
cd /boot
mkinitrd -f --preload=sata_nv initrd-<kernel version>.img <kernel
version>

If this breaks anything, you get to keep all the pieces...

Mikkel