how many packages?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Jul 10 18:11:15 UTC 2009

davide wrote:
> Hi, I'm an old linux user and new to Fedora.
> I noticed that Fedora has "few" packages in its repos.
> I've activated some repos:
> (399)-~% yum repolist
> Plugin caricati:blacklist, fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit,
> whiteout
> repo id                           nome repo                     stato
> adobe-linux-i386                  Adobe Systems Incorporated
> abilitato:    17
> fedora                            Fedora 11 - i386
> abilitato: 13289
> rpmfusion-free                    RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - Fr
> abilitato:   377
> rpmfusion-free-updates            RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - Fr
> abilitato:   120
> rpmfusion-free-updates-testing    RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - Fr
> abilitato:    60
> rpmfusion-nonfree                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - No
> abilitato:   110
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates         RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - No
> abilitato:    90
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - No
> abilitato:     9
> updates                           Fedora 11 - i386 - Updates
> abilitato:  2824
> updates-testing                   Fedora 11 - i386 - Test Updat
> abilitato:   955
> repolist: 17851
>

> for a total of 17000+ packages. That shoul be enough but it still lacks
> some packages like vim-latexsuite, pondus and others (little utilities).

Remember that Fedora is restricted in that non-GPL items and those with
copyright encumbrances are excluded.  Red Hat has to play by the laws
of the USA.

That doesn't prevent you from _using_ the excluded stuff, but Fedora
can't distribute any of it.  "Don't ask, don't tell."

> Do I miss any well known repo?

None that I can see, other than those with excluded content.
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -