login to remote system using ssh fails

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 14 12:36:32 UTC 2009

Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> This is Fedora 11, openssh-clients-5.2p1-2.fc11.i586
> Same problem happened once before on a Fedora 10 installation; I'm
> ashamed to say that I did not note the solution.
>
> The remote system is F10; same as before.
>
> Two systems are connected via wireless. Connection is good. Previously,
> ssh -l user sys prompted for password and connected. Today (after
> wakeup from hibernate), ssh complained about the remote system's key.
> This has happened before and was always resolvable by removing the old
> entry in .ssh/known_hosts and trying again.
>
> The problem is that now, after entering user's pw, I find that I'm
> logged in to the originating system.
>
> Shutdown, power off/on, reboot does not affect the problem.
>
> Nothing from dmesg.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like it might be DNS, you are logging into yourself (why host ID
changed), and not the other system.

BTW: ignoring "host ID changed" in ssh is a really bad idea from a security
standpoint. Now even when you do connect to the right machine you will have a
key mismatch. You *do* save the known_hosts and authorized_keys file when they
change, right?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>