active network connection stops working...

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:40:41 UTC 2009

Sorry.  I messed up my mailing list subscriptions.
I need to respond to a previous message in this thread.

I saw your response on
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-July/msg02609.html

You indicated there is no DNS resolution?
What is in your /etc/resolv.conf file please?

My /etc/resolv.conf file contains the following because I currently use
cableone.net as my ISP:
rsewill at rsewill:~ <2:5> $ more /etc/resolv.conf
; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
nameserver 24.116.2.50
nameserver 24.116.2.34
rsewill at rsewill:~ <2:6> $

Can you ping an IP address if you do not use DNS resolution?
When I ping www.google.com, I get the following:
rsewill at rsewill:~ <2:6> $ ping www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (209.85.225.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from iy-in-f99.google.com (209.85.225.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=243
time=37.2

Can you ping www.google.com?
Can you ping 209.85.225.99?

Am I correct in assuming you have never been able to surf the Internet
through this active network connection?  My previous comments assumed
you could surf the Internet, but your connection eventually failed.