Why Fedora is for experts only?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Sat Jul 25 04:43:26 UTC 2009

>> I'm trying to figure out what our great experts would lose if there was
>> pause for choosing the kernel.
>
> When booting, if you keep pressed the SHIFT key, you will have the grub
> menu.

Interesting. It worked but only after a reset: on the reboot it just
blocked and stayed dead.

This instruction would certainly get a newbie out of a hole but, most
probably, they will try the enter or arrow keys, and this gives no result.

Maybe there should be a menu suggesting to use shift to get the grub
options? :)

Really, pausing for a few seconds still seems to me like the best option.
The way out is easier than I thought but when a newbie comes to Linux and
he's already afraid because everybody says that Fedora is for experts
only, he might not look further and give up.