will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 11:53:34 UTC 2009

2009/7/28 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>:
> On Tuesday 28 July 2009 02:58:14 John Mellor wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 12:23 +0200, Julian Aloofi wrote:
>> > Am Donnerstag, den 23.07.2009, 20:13 -0400 schrieb John Mellor:

>> I'm ok with this, as long as a non-functioning Radeon-HD card becomes a
>> blocker issue.  There is no way that F12 should be released without this
>> support, and most cards working correctly.
>
> There was a similar issue with Intel drivers at the time of release of F10,
> and it was labeled non-blocking issue back then. F10 was then released with
> flaky Intel drivers. IOW, don't get your hopes up.
>
> Besides, as was the argument for Intel, it is not fair to block the whole
> distro only because some graphics cards have problems. All other users
> (nVidia, Intel and better-supported ATI owners) are then punished just because
> some ATI cards don't work well.

On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my
nVidia card was supported straight when installing F11 as it was one
of the few not supported by the nv (open) driver for a while (the
secret of course was the change to nouveau).

> You chose the card, you deal with it. I had my fair share of that game with
> Intel (and I still do --- it still doesn't work good enough) for more than 6
> months now. It was working perfectly in F9, it broke in F10 (and this was well
> known before the release), it stayed broken through F10 and again in F11. As I
> cannot change hardware in my laptop, I learned to live with it. I suggest you
> do the same.

Which Intel do you have?  I've got a 945 which did go through a phase
of performing badly, but I think it was better behaved last time I
tried turning desktop effects on (F11, I skipped past F10).

--
imalone