I don't understand CUPS any more

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 08:45:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 21:52 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Now I've disabled the firewall on both machines.
> The printer was set as sharing on both machines.

The point is you don't need to set up a printer on the laptop.  If you
have everything configured right it will appear there automatically.

> I'm wondering if I have caused some confusion
> by install hplip on machine A,
> and running hp-setup there?

Best to avoid hp-setup I think.

> I'm not at all clear of the relation (if any) between hplip and CUPS?

HPLIP has several parts:

hpijs is the printer driver for many HP printers
hplip contains the 'hp' backend for CUPS, for low ink reporting etc
hp-toolbox and hp-setup are, largely speaking, just HP-specific versions
of system-config-printer
hp-systray is just an HP-specific version of
system-config-printer-applet

Tim.
*/