Is this the real Fedora 11? I ask because of the file dates...

Fernando Cassia fcassia at
Wed Jun 10 00:40:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Todd Zullinger <tmz at> wrote:

> Fernando Cassia wrote:
> > See here
> >

> > Google is your friend. :)
> I wouldn't say that downloading an executable from some blog is the
> best thing to recommend.

I was answering to the user on this list. I wasn´t suggesting that Red Hat
or points to that blog.

>  Especially not if the goal is to check the
> integrity of the Fedora .iso images.
> I'm not sure what to recommend for Windows users honestly.  With the
> recent work that has gone into Fedora to allow cross-compiling windows
> binaries, it might be possible to build an sha256sum.exe that could be
> hosted on

Surely. I just compiled a win32 version ofa a GPL linux utility with Cygwin
minutes ago.

>  That might be a little more trustworthy
> for us to suggest Windows users use to verify the .iso file we
> distribute.
> > PS: Adding a "checksum-verification.txt´text file explaining that
> > users need to use sha256sum, and where to obtain it, would be cool.
> What about ?

That would be nice. But also, a text file on the file repositories
explaining the files verification process would be nice.

Call me old-fashioned, but I´m used  to the time when every FTP site had a
"00_index.txt" file contained a "ls -lR" of the whole file tree and also a
README file on each folder explaining what was in there.

Likewise, including a tiny text file alongside the iso images would help
answer the obvious question to someone whom has just downloaded the file(s)
"Great, now how do I verify these images are OK?".