Update to F11 or new install?

Tait Clarridge Tait.Clarridge at lavalife.com
Thu Jun 11 14:14:44 UTC 2009

> Are there any expected downsides to doing an upgrade versus a complete
> re-install?

I think certain reasons have already been stated, but basically you probably want to consider how long it might take to fix any tweaks that work in Fedora 10 but may not in Fedora 11. When I made my decision to re-install completely it was because I had so many things I could see going wrong when I made the switch. I haven't actually had a successful upgrade either, I tried from Fedora 9 to Fedora 10 and that never jived well with my setup.

> What do they mean by "consistent experience" ?  I'd rather
> do an upgrade, but if there will be some defecit in the final result,
> then I'll consider the full install.

Basically as I stated above that when you already have a system that may have been changed/messed with, they cannot guarantee that everything will work like it is supposed to. I think that there is a lot more that can go wrong during an upgrade vs. a brand new install, since the new installs are supposed to work right away.

I suggest backing up all your files and settings and go for a complete reinstall, it is the only way you can guarantee that your system will be clean/problem free. It might be harder to find help on certain issues if you explain that you have "upgraded from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11"

Just my two cents.

Tait