VM questions

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 12 02:41:49 UTC 2009

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I have a dual Xeon 64 bit processor, which I don't believe has hardware VM
> support. Can I still run a VM machine in F11 with XP as guest OS? Which
> F11 disk should I download?

Well, Fedora itself currently only supports KVM (which requires hardware
virtualization) and plain QEMU (pure software emulation, extremely slow),
but there are several options you can try:
* kqemu: available in RPM Fusion Free
* VirtualBox OSE: available in RPM Fusion Free
* VirtualBox (proprietary, not recommended - but see OSE above)
* VMWare (proprietary, not recommended)

There's also Xen being worked on for F12:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0 and with preliminary
RPMs at http://fedorapeople.org/~myoung/dom0/ , but AFAIK Xen does not
support Window$ guests unless you have hardware virtualization.

        Kevin Kofler